Aircraft of the 486th

B17  "Flying Fortress"

Chuckie.jpg (46748 bytes)

B24 "Liberator"

4NB.jpg (13259 bytes)

The 486th Bombardment Group (H) was deployed to the ETO in the B24H/J Liberator in April 1944. By July the 8th Air Force decided to put all B24s in the 2nd Air Division. During the month of July the transition began to the B17 Flying Fortress. The first mission in the new aircraft was on August 1, 1944. The group flew an additional 142 combat missions before the end of the war. (click on thumbnails for aircraft lists).

Every attempt was made to be as accurate as possible. However, after 50 plus years documents and memories become faded or lost. Updates are frequent, corrections and updates are welcomed.

The following sources assisted with this effort:

Arthur J. May, 832nd.
Charlie Macgill, 834th
The War Stories of the O&W, buy Dick Wood and Bob Bee.
www.b24bestweb.com, Daniel Stockton
Tom Brittan, UK.
National Archives and Records Administration

Copyright © 1998-2016 486th Bomb Group Association.