2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | earlier

Robert Miller, Pilot, 835th, 22 December 2014

Robert Miller, 90, of Dallas, Texas, previously from Biloxi, MS, died in Dallas, Texas.

Major Miller was born in Burlington, Iowa on November 3, 1924.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Rolla Alexander Miller and Mary Wagner Miller; his wife, Audrey Jeanne Wilkes Miller; and daughter, Mary Logene Miller.

Upon graduating high school, Major Miller joined the US Army Air Corps, where he served as a B-17 pilot with the 835th Bomb Squadron, 486th Bomb Group of the 8th Air Force in World War II. After his plane caught fire during his 17th mission, Major Miller and his crew parachuted over Austria where he was captured and held as a POW during the last 6 months of the war. When the war ended he flew missions as part of the Berlin Airlift.

Later he served in the Korean War where he was part of the 34th Troop Carrier Group. After an eventful and distinguished military career Major Miller retired in 1965 in Biloxi, MS.

He loved collecting stamps, wood working, building and flying radio controlled model airplanes, traveling, and watching sports, especially the Chicago White Sox.

Richard Stilling, 835th: 21 December 2014

[No obit]

Arthur J. Bryant, Navigator, Ewing Crew, 832nd, 13 November 2014.

Known as Jack to his friends and family. Jack was born on September 9, 1924 in Lynn, MA, and lived in Vernon, CT, for over 50 years.

Jack flew 35 combat missions with the Ewing crew.

Chester W. Kology, TG, Foy Crew, 834th, 21 October 2014

Chet, 97, of Stafford Springs, CT, was preceded in death by his wife, Lorraine L. (nee Christensen).

He was born in Galletzin, PA, son of the late John and Pauline (Ciscon) Kology who raised their family in Stafford Hollow. Growing up, Chet raised and sold rabbits, rode motorcycles, played ice hockey on the pond with his brothers and best friend Jim Vail, and together they survived many happy boyhood adventures.

Chet flew 36 bombing missions during World War II as a tail gunner on the Foy Crew, 834th.

In early years, Chet worked as a weaver at Warren Woolen Company and later as a tool maker at various machine shops in Connecticut and Massachusetts. With a large family, Chet was always busy and prepared to offer wisdom and manpower to any projects.

Robert R. Conlen, R/O/G, Stuart's Crew, 835th, 10 October 2014

Robert was born in Flint April 1, 1924. He married Audrey E. Morse Bedford in Flushing in 1967. He was a graduate of Flint Technical High School in 1942. Robert served with the Stuart Crew, 835th, until transferred to the 9th AF in July 1944. Following the war, Robert served an apprenticeship in Tool and Die and attended GMI during this period. He then was employed by Automobile Carriers rising to the position of General Manager. After that he was the Vice President and General Manager of Janesville Auto Transport in Janesville Wisconsin. After that he and his loving partner and wife Audrey purchased and operated the Fenton A&W. In his retirement he was a driver for Gerych Flowers and Gifts until 2004. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church and the Curtis- Wolverton VFW post in Fenton.

Albert H. Holman, Copilot, Ogle's Crew, 833rd, 9 October 2014

[no obit]

Salvatore V. Muscarella, 486th, 05 September 2014

[No Obit]

Elmo B. Rieddle, 832nd, 16 August 2014

[no obit]

Sidney J. Penman, BG, Riley Crew, 833rd, 13 June 2014

Sid was born in Williston, N.D., on July 30, 1925, to Sid and Velma Penman. He graduated from Rathdrum High School in 1943.

Sid joined the Army Air Corp on September 21, 1943. He flew his first 31 missions over Germany and his 32nd, and last, mission over occupied France - all in the ball turret of a B-17. Sid was discharged as a Sergeant in November 1945.

One of the highlights of Sid's later years was being part of one of the first Honor Flights to Washington D.C. in 2004.

Sid enjoyed spending time in the outdoors - camping and hunting with his family and friends, especially on the St. Joe. He shot a bull moose in 1989, the very first year a drawing was offered in Idaho.

Sid was preceded in death by his parents, Sid and Velma Penman; brother, Richard "Dick" Penman; and nephew, Richard "Rick" Penman.

Wallace D. Rosser, BG, Moss Crew, 834th, 23 May 2014:

Wallace passed away Friday, May 23, 2014, in North Park Village Assisted Living in Ozark.

Wallace was born June 28, 1925, in Long Beach, California, the son of Levi David Rosser and Seneth Elizabeth (Moodie) Rosser. On June 26, 1948 he and Frances Mariel Shine were united in marriage.

A mechanical Engineer, Mr. Rosser worked in the oil refinery business of Dresser Industries, now Halliburton.

William E. Ingram, HQ, 08 May 2014:

Known to family and friends as Elbert was buried on Monday, May 12 2014 at Roselawn Memorial Gardens in the Garden of Peace in Dallas. Elbert was born in Lindale.

Military Honors were rendered at graveside to honor Elbert's faithful and dedicated military service to the United States.

Mr. Ingram passed away May 8, 2014 at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He was born Jan. 11, 1923 in Lindale to Ennis Elbert Ingram and Mary Lena Starnes Ingram.

He attended Tyler Commercial College in Tyler and prior to WW II, worked at LaWard, Texas in the office of Rural Electric Co. and Bethlehem Oilfield Supply Co.

After the war he worked a short time for Bethlehem Supply Co. at Winnsboro prior to being hired in the home office of Hunt Oil Company at Dallas.

After 34 years of faithful service, he retired with Hunt Energy Corporation as supervisor of the Joint Interest and Material Accounting Department.

Stanley Bussis, 8 April 2014

Stanley served in the USAF following the war and rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Walter C. Gibson, Copilot, Hodges Crew, 833rd. 27 February 2014

Walter was born February 12, 1924, and passed away 15 days after his 90th birthday, on February 27th. He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Frances, nee Ragan.

Walter attended Central High and graduated from Vanderbilt's school of engineering and earned his master's degree from Purdue. He worked for DuPont and retired after 30 years. He was a longtime member of the Woodmont Christian Church, and a charter member of the Middle Tennessee Bomb Group Association.

Leonard H. Belair, RO/G, Tulman Crew, 832nd: February 8, 2014

Leonard Henry Belair, 93, of Woodstock, was born January 21, 1921 in Putnam he was the son of Joseph Moses and Lucender (Montpelier) Belair.

In 1945 after returning from WWII Army Air Corp. service in Europe he married Edna Cole West of Woodstock. The couple settled in Glastonbury where they raised their family. In the 1950's Leonard founded Sound Engineering Corp. in Hartford. He operated the business until 1980 when he semi-retired. Returning to Woodstock he worked as a financial planner until age 70. Leonard and Edna enjoyed their retirement sharing good times with cherished friends and an annual family reunion at the Woodstock Fair. Leonard was a communicant at the Most Holy Trinity Church in Pomfret, an active member of the Woodstock Agricultural Society and sexton for Quasset Cemetery. He enjoyed music, dancing, bird watching, tinkering with clocks and caring for his home.

In his later years he always wore his signature bolo tie. Leonard's willingness to offer a helping hand, his belief in doing the right thing, quick wit and great story telling abilities made him a welcomed friend. He was known for his hugs - his grandchildren will always remember his greeting as he would pick them up, twirl them around and give the best hugs ever. In 2012 Leonard was preceded in death by Edna, his wife of 67 years and by three siblings.

Quentin F. Ingerson, Navigator, Walthall's Crew, 832nd, 4 February 2014

Quentin died peacefully of complications of Alzheimer's disease.

Born to Fred and Theresa Ingerson of Milwaukee, Wisconsin on June 9, 1924. In 1942, Quentin joined the Army Air Force and qualified as a navigator. Assigned to the Walthall Crew, 832nd, he began flying combat on August 1, 1944. Sadly, on the 4th, his aircraft collided with a Fortress flown by LT Harper. Harper and his copilot, LT Scully, were the only survivors of their crew. All aboard the ship flown by Walthall and his copilot, FO Myers, initially survived. Quentin and the flight engineer, Kazmer Rachak, parachuted to safety. The remainder of the crew stayed with the aircraft and made a wheels up landing on the island of Borkum at the western edge of the East Frisian Islands in the North Sea. There, they were taken into custody and shortly thereafter were murdered by their captors. Quentin and Kazmer were POW'd. Both escaped during the "Death March", but Quentin would be recaptured by a member of the SS after a week and would remain in prison until liberated.

In 2003, Kazmer and Quentin were invited to Borkum, Germany, to participate in the dedication of a memorial in memory of his murdered crewmates.

At the time of his liberation, Quentin's liver was not functioning properly and he was severely jaundiced and quite ill. He was bed ridden during his return to the US, but recovered fully. Using the GI bill, Quentin went to college, earning a degree in Chemical Engineering from Michigan University. He holds one patent to himself, and shares two others with a coworker, while both were employed by Ampco Metal, Inc, of Milwaukee, WI.

Quentin is survived by his loving wife, Katy (nee Sweeney), his brother Marvin, nieces, nephews and his step-children.

Quentin W. Gilham, Aircraft Mechanic, 835th, 27 January 2014:

Quentin, 82, died of natural causes at the Blackfeet Community Hospital on Thursday, Jan 27. Rosary Services were held Sunday, Jan. 30, at the Little Flower Catholic Church with a funeral mass being held Monday, Jan 31. Burial followed in Willow Creek Cemetery. Pondera Funeral Home handled the arrangements.

Quentin was born April 28, 1922 in Browning to William and Daisy (Norris) Gilham. He grew up in the Browning, Cut Bank, and Seville areas, and graduated from Browning High School in 1942. Following his graduation, he served in the 835th BS (H) as a aircraft mechanic, stationed out of Suffolk, England.

Quentin was a Wildland firefighter. He was one of a group who was the first to become certified crew bosses on the Blackfeet Reservation. He was also a bartender for many years.

William H. Abington, 832nd, 4 January 2014;

Bill, a former Texas state legislator and longtime oil industry executive, passed away in Austin on January 4, 2014 at age 92. Abington was born on September 6, 1921, in Childress, Texas at the home of his parents, Hallie Crawford Abington and Edward Bannerman Abington. He graduated from Childress High School and moved to Fort Worth, Texas in 1939. He attended Texas Christian University until the beginning of World War II at which time he enlisted in the Army Air Corp. He ultimately being assigned to the 832nd Heavy Bombardment Squadron. He served from 1942 to 1945 during which he met and married his wife, Katherine Ruth Salisbury. After VE Day, he returned to the United States and his wife, Katherine Ruth Salisbury Abington and daughter,  who was born while he was overseas. Following his return from active duty, Bill served four consecutive terms as a member of the Tarrant County delegation in the Texas House of Representatives from 1946-1953. Also, during this period, he attended Baylor University Law School and received his LLB and JD degrees and entered into private law practice in Fort Worth, Texas. In 1950, a second child was born to Ruth and Bill.

He left his private practice in 1953 when asked to join Texas Mid-Continent Oil & Gas Association (now Texas Oil & Gas Association) to serve on staff as an attorney. He was then promoted to General Counsel in 1960 and further promoted to Executive Vice President and General Counsel in 1971. In 1981, he was made President and served in that capacity until his retirement in 1989. He was honored with the Distinguished Service Award in 1990 recognizing his service and leadership to the development of the Texas petroleum industry throughout his career. Abington was a prominent figure in the petroleum industry for almost four decades.

Bill had many avid interests. Among them were golf, travel, gardening, politics and entertaining. As a member of golf clubs in Fort Worth, Dallas, Austin and Colorado Springs, he shared many memories with friends, business associates and most fondly with his son, Tom. He also fulfilled a life- long dream of playing some of the most revered golf courses in Scotland and Ireland with Tom. He loved and valued his family, friends and country. He had an exceptional way with people regardless of their station in life. He was truly interested in others and that endeared him to all that knew him. Among his many admirable qualities were his sense of optimism and his integrity which served him well throughout his life and provided a role model for others. In 1998, he lost his wife, Ruth, to Alzheimer's disease after many years of his committed care for her. A year later, he married Nancy Sayers and they enjoyed years of travel and sharing of friends, family and good times. The Sayers and Abington families dovetailed beautifully and he considered Nancy's sons, their wives, children and grandchildren his family as well.

Preceding Bill in death were his parents, Hallie and Edward Abington, his brother, Edward Gordon Abington, a step-mother, Hazel Hunter Abington and his first wife, Katherine Ruth Abington. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Sayers Abington, daughter, son, as well as grandchildren and step-sons.

Lloyd W. Wilson, Gunnery Instructor

Lloyd, 93, of Tyler, died on Dec. 28 in Tyler following a short illness.

Lloyd was born Jan. 14, 1920 in Edgerton, Ohio to Harry McClain and Mary Elizabeth Wilson. Lloyd considered it an honor to serve his country in World War II as a Tech Sergeant in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He was a member of the 486th as a gunnery instructor prior to flying missions in Europe as a B-24 tail gunner.

Following his military service, Lloyd worked for the Cotton Belt Railroad in St. Louis and moved to Tyler in 1955 when the Cotton Belt opened headquarters here. He was a traffic representative, edited the company magazine and worked in public relations.

He enjoyed singing in church choirs in Tyler and Dallas and was charter secretary of the T.B. Butler Foundation. His hobbies included woodworking, photography, and computers. He enjoyed his iPad 2 acquired following a stroke in 2010.

In recent years, he served on the prayer team at Marvin United Methodist Church and was a member of the Friendly Bible class.

Following the death of his first wife, Gerry, after more than 50 years of marriage, Lloyd married Carole and fulfilled her childhood dream of going to Scotland, taking her there on their honeymoon. He surprised her with a second trip to Scotland two years later. Lloyd learned to dance at age 73, and he and Carole enjoyed many evenings of dancing. The most memorable involved a 30-minute bus ride from Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco to a ballroom where they learned to Salsa and danced the night away.

Their most meaningful shared experience during more than 20 years of marriage was their mutual faith in Jesus Christ, their Savior.

2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | earlier